Lange Vijverberg 14
2513 AC Den Haag
Museum Brediusis situated on the Hofvijver in an 18th century mansion, the private collection of Abraham Bredius with Rembrandt, Jan Steen, van Neer, ‘d Hoendecoeter, Hobbema and more.
When Abraham Bredius died in 1946 at the age of ninety, he bequeathed his vast collection of more than 200 paintings to the municipality of The Hague. At his departure to Monaco in 1924 he had turned his large house at 6 Prinsengracht into a museum. Until 1985 his collection of paintings, drawings, antique furniture, silverware, crystal and china had been on view for everyone. When the museum was closed the collection went into depot, but in 1990, on the initiative of a number of The Hague art lovers and with the support of sponsors, Museum Bredius opened its doors again, this time at Lange Vijverberg 14.
At present the restoration programme is almost finished, so that the largest and the best part of the collection of paintings can be shown to the public in all its colour and lustre with which it adorned the walls of the first owners three and four centuries ago. Bredius’ furniture and applied art were also returned to the museum, so that the domestic atmosphere of the place was retained.