3811 BC Amersfoort
T 033 247 11 00
Located in three historical buildings, the museum shows the history of the city and repeatedly displays other exhibitions of (inter) national art from the period from roughly 1850 to 1950.
The museum hopes to continue its future development into a place where regular attention is paid to the history of Amersfoort (from Mariamirakel to Eysink motorcycles) and to ‘house museum’ of the art of some passionate Dutch collectors. Thus, Flehite has already introduced the public to the collections of Kamerbeek, Fransen and Van Schaik. Other well-known exhibits in recent years were ’30 years between Art and Kitsch in 101 discoveries’ and ‘Rosita Steenbeek vs. Robert Webster’.
Museum Flehite is housed in three late medieval wall houses, built around 1540. Over the centuries, the original houses have also been used for other purposes, such as warehouse or even military hospital. In 1890 Breestraat 78 became a museum, Flehite Museum. Over the course of the last century, the museum expanded with the buildings Breestraat 80 and 76. The three wall houses of Museum Flehite are first depicted on the great cityscape of Matthias Withoos from 1671. It is a coincidence that they are so prominent in this painting: Withoos could not know that his painting would ever hang in a walled house . Amersfoort wall houses are on the route of the first city wall, which was built around 1300. When the city grew strongly in the 14th century, more land needed and a broader, second city wall and city graves were built between 1380 and 1450. The first old wall was then broken down, but the foundations remained. On these underground wall remains, large houses were built after 1540, wall houses.